BBGC Running Club?

On May 30, 2010, in Uncategorized, by Andrea

So the BBGC has been accused of being a group of haters.

Which I really find laughable, especially from the source of the accusation.  Because, if nothing else, I am not jealous of Stepford Bariatrics in any form or fashion — nor their intolerance towards things that are not within their narrow definition of “normal”.

With that said, I am going to do what we BBGCers do best — SUPPORT one another.

There are a number of us that are in various stages of running — some of us are watching people run and are turning green with envy saying “how the hell do they do that and how do I become them?”, some of us are starting a running program such as the Couch-to-5k, some of us (ahem, me) are plodding along with our jogging programs already and just need tips and tricks to improve our technique so we don’t die, and some of us have reached the pinnacle and are already doing major races (you bitches!  We hate you!  Not really, we just want to BE you!)

Where are you in your training program, and what are you doing to reach your goals?

I’ll share my stuff -

Beyond the fact that I’ve started adding more accountability (Look for the Daily Mile widget down to the right), I’ve decided to add at least one treadmill run to my routine a week (for pacework to help increase my speed) and I’m thinking of trying to do a 2nd a week for endurance work (a LONG run versus a fast run) in addition to my regular runs through the neighborhood.  I also need to include some work with weights and more bike and elliptical work for cross-training (but I’m being more realistic in saying that these are less likely to happen with the additional runs at this point…)

Anyone interested in joining in me in the BBGC-RC?  There’s a messageboard available at the Facebook site that could be used, plus Beth is working on a website as well.

C’mon.  You know you wanna do it..

8 Responses to “BBGC Running Club?”

1. Carlea says:

Andrea, what is Stepford Bariatrics? Is it a concept or an actual “club?” I am just starting to run myself and will need some accountability and support. Not sure I’m a “bad girl,” but it sure sounds like fun! LOL

2. Laura says:

I am a group 1 girl. When I lose just under 22 pounds to get under 200, I will graduate to group 2! I have always wanted to be a runner and I WILL be a runner in spite of these knees! I’m worried if I try it now, I’ll break my legs!

Oh and I am a bad girl and have always disdained “Stepford Bariatrics.” What a treat to find I’m not alone, in left field, laying on my back watching butterflies as the ball rolls by me. :)

Stepford Bariatrics is a pet name for a group of Bariatrics that seems to be perfect in everything they do. They don’t believe in eating any carbs, they tend to look down upon anyone who doesn’t conform to their way of thinking and they have a leader that likes to single specific people out for harsh and undue criticism. Years ago, she went after ObesityHelp.com and called the people on the site, and I’m quoting here “Pissy whiners who were Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby pint testers, Uneducated candy bar nibbling biscuit addicts, Who were concerned only with Star Jones and having nasty Attitudes about spelling, but have no idea Of what it takes to be successful, because The members of OH were completely Un-educated about bariatric procedures.”

I’d rather not be lumped in with a group such as this, eh? I’m kinda my own person as it is, but even then, I’ve never been a “cool kid” or part of a clique.

4. Canticles says:

I am restarting Couch to 5K this week. I would LOVE to have a “team” of BBGCers! I was supposed to run my first 5K a year ago, but it fell through. Planning to gear up for my first race this fall. :)

5. Carlea says:

Oh, I get it now! LOL. Yeah, I’d rather be a “bad girl”. People are so disrespectful of differences sometimes. I’m trying to talk myself into going out for a run today. Why I procrastinate, I’m not sure.

6. cat lady says:

I am REALLY interested in starting to run.. It’s the BIG post op goal for me, to run. I didn’t’ really care about pounds lost or how many sizes I lost, I just wanted to be able to run, ya know?

I really need a push to get started, maybe the couch-to-5k would work for me, i need to look at that.

I would love some advice on shoes (and socks), my feet are in terrible shape (years of carrying around my fat-self) and I know great shoes are important.
    -Sandy

For your shoes, go to a RUNNING store. Not Footlocker, not Dick’s. Find a RUNNING SHOE STORE. Google for a Road Runner’s Association in your area, then see what stores they recommend in your area.

The reason being is that those stores will be staffed by actual runners rather than kids who are doing part-time jobs. They will be able to watch you walk, then put you in a few shoes and watch you jog and see how your foot falls. Honest, do this. It’s worth the time and the lack of a discount from a “big box store” to get the right shoes. As for socks, avoid all cotton. You want synthetics for the most part. Some like super thin, some like more cushioning. It really is dependant on what YOU prefer. But avoid high content cotton socks.

But to let you know, I run in Brooks Trance 9′s, and my general walking / backup runners are Brooks Adrenaline 10′s. These are known as Stability shoes because I am a pronator, but the Trance 9′s are also a Cushioning shoe as well.

Here’s a good link to learn more about shoes: http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html

8. cat lady says:

Thanks for the advice. I found a few local running clubs and the closest is all women. It might be something I can get involved in sometime in the future. Lot of resources on their website, include where and where not to buy shoes! thanks again Andrea!