Wonder Iron

Something that I’ve been saying for awhile now, and nice to see a doc agree with me..

He actually recommends Proferrin.

10 Responses to “Iron deficient anemia as complication of RNY”

1. Laurie says:

Andrea,

I have a friend who is a nurse and also had wls. Her doctor told her that we don’t absorb any iron anymore. Have you heard anyone say that? That is the first and only time I heard it.

Thanks!

I’ve heard it.

Her doctor is partially correct, and partially wrong.

We don’t absorb ferrous iron well at all. But we DO absorb carbonyl, poly iron, and heme iron very well.

3. sand says:

my hematologist has been recommending Proferrin for quite a while. He’s all over the heme iron vs non-heme iron thing. ….and he really gets our guts and isn’t shy about telling the WLS surgeons what they are doing wrong with their iron supplement advice :) )

4. Tracey says:

Thanks for sharing this – very informative. I am adding this to my carbonyl iron that I already take to ensure I get a complete spectrum of iron.

5. Halina says:

Based on the suggestion – I started taking the Proferrin ES. I was using Carbonyl but my pouch got really irritated, then for a while the Bifera, and last – but not least – last 2 months I have been using the Proferrin ES.
    I am happy to report that over last 5 months my ferritin went from 11 to 18. Not sure what really worked – but Proferrin ES does not hurt my pouch and it’s probably that’s why I still can take it… lol.
    Whatever works…

6. Malena says:

Andrea – what is the dosage on this? One pill a day? Two?

It depends on your numbers, honestly. Some of us need massive numbers — 3 or so to maintain. Others combine 1 with ionic and do well. Not everyone is as effed up with iron as I am.

8. sally says:

so glad to see you give proferrin your stamp of approval- just ordered some as the Surgeon I am having procedure with in Sept want’s my iron up- as a hedge- mine is mid range but y WBC is low– ugh– so working on this in the last hours– but so lad to know you are here.

9. Marci says:

Thanks a bunch! I used to follow you on Oh but the longer out I am the less and less I go on. I am going in tomorrow for an infusion. I will also be requesting to be taken off the Corvite 150 and put on Proferrin. My ferritin is now at 0 :) and I’m feeling really lousy so I m hopeful this will help. Do you know how long it takes to work?

Infusions are instant.

Proferrin gave me results within 30 days.