WLS Vitagarten Lab Tracker Workbook

On November 10, 2010, in Uncategorized, by Andrea

Well, it’s been teased and discussed, and even some have purchased down in Houston, but here’s the Lab Tracker Workbook, First Edition.  I’m really horrible at self-promotion, so excuse the choppiness of this introduction.

This is a work-in-progress, of course.  As updates come out, I’ll work out a way to get those out to people for as reasonable of a price as possible.

The book is a hard cover, 3-ring binder to make it easy to add pages and inserts as desired.  I’ve supplied some of the basic “bones” but I encourage you to make this workbook as much YOURS as you need it to be so you’ll actually use it.

The Lab Tracker Workbook contains basic information about post WLS supplementation for all surgery types, lists of suggested lab draws with current CPT codes, and common bariatric nutritional deficiencies explained in detail.  However, the most important part of this workbook are the lab tracking sheets given for over 30 individual tests.  These sheets give basic information about each test, how it is drawn (fasting, light-protected, while seated, etc.), adult range, and low/high reasons pertinent to the WLS community.  In addition to the information, most sheets include a chart to visually track trends in the labs to see if the numbers are going up, staying the same, or trending downwards.

Ferritin

Additionally, there is a small glossary and reference section, with blank tracking sheets for additional space or for labs not included (You have lupus?  Need a pesky CH50 drawn?  Wanna keep that with all your other labs?  Here ya go.  Make copies as needed.)

While this certainly is not a perfect guide, I believe it is a first step for us patients to become more self-aware of our health and take charge of it. Knowledge is power, and all that.

To my European / Canadian friends – I’ve not forgotten you!  I’ll come up with a guide in SI units shortly for you so no conversion is needed on your part.

Cost is $25 with shipping and handling via USPS for $12.00.  Contact me directly for multiple copies as shipping will change.  Link to purchase is here.

14 Responses to “WLS Vitagarten Lab Tracker Workbook”

1. Paula Johnson says:

I would so love to order one!! It will have to wait though until I have some extra $$ – congrats with this!! Quite an accomplishment!!

2. Sharyn says:

All I can say is, “Wow, Andrea.” This will be a great tool is the WLSer’s arsenal. Kudos to you.

3. Cdn Gastric Chicky says:

Bravo Andrea – Congrats – and thanks for thinking of us Canucks! Let me know when the Canadian version is ready!

deb

4. rny_alison says:

Can we get a cheaper shipping rate if you sent it “media mail?”
    I am going to buy a copy no matter what, just curious…

5. Liese says:

I too would be interested in a “media mail” option.
    Will this be available via amazon soon? At least with them I can save on shipping.

This is parcel post. I really don’t want to have to deal with too many shipping options, my kids with each trip, etc. As it is, I’m averaging the cost from coast to coast rather than individual shipping rates and if too many order from the west coast, I will lose money on the shipping.

7. Liz Grigat says:

I am sooooo excited to order this!! It may just have to be a christmas present to myself!! :-)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

8. JaimeK says:

Happy camper!! Just bought mine. I look forward to receiving it… =]

9. Rob says:

Doesn’t the USPS have their flat rate boxes that this would fit in? Just a suggestion.. I thought they had one that would be big enough to hold a binder for like $4.95

$10.70 plus packing peanuts to keep it from banging around inside. IF it would fit.
    Medium Flat Rate Box

Domestic Rate: $10.20 with online pricing
    You save $0.50 online

International Rate: $25.60 (Mexico/Canada), $41.28 (all other countries) with online pricing
    You save $1.35 to $2.17 online

Size: 11 7/8″ x 3 3/8″ x 13 5/8″

Good for: AV Equipment, Clothing, Computer Components

I had to go with Number 7 envelopes, which are 14×18, plus some cushioning. Then took the package to USPS with a list of 7 zips across the country and said “Hey, give me the price to ship from here to these places” and got the prices. Took the highest (was a difference of, not kidding, $1.05 from Miami to Honolulu), added the cost of the packaging, the cost for the paypal, and went “voila.”

The few that will pay more (like NC residents) will get faster shipping rather than parcel post because I don’t want to make money off shipping. Additionally, I’ve just found an error in the book, and while many WON’T find it, I’m sending out fixes, plus some chapter dividers to those I’ve already shipped to and to those who purchased in Houston at no additional cost because it BUGS ME THAT I MISSED IT.

And I’m not offering 80,000 ways to ship because it’s a one-woman operation doing this. The husband has made it clear he did his part and the rest is up to me. I get to pack these with the kids’ help (so if anyone finds a crayon or silly bandz bracelet.. consider it a bonus?), drag them with me to Staples to get more supplies, threaten them when they climb the ladders AT Staples, drag them to the Post Office, wish for death as I wait in line for the old ladies (who are sweet, but do not use a computer to figure postage… ’nuff said?) to get through the people in front of me, then MY stack as I have to answer AGAIN what’s in the envelopes, etc.

And no to .pdf’s cause I know how to pirate things. ‘Nuff said there, too.

Amazon is a no because I’ve only sold something like 30 total. I think they have a couple thousand requirement…

This isn’t all for you, Rob.. just putting it all out there.

11. Ruth says:

Looking forward to the Canadian version. As to shipping/bulk/cost – Could you not sell the pages & the purchaser provide their own binder to put the pages in, or is that too complicated for the end user? I can assure you, I could assemble the pages in a binder w/o screwing it up. ;)

12. Julie says:

I got mine the other day…filled it in that night. Can’t wait to get my next set of labs drawn to fill out the book again and see if the trends are holding or changing.

BIG THANKS AGAIN ANDREA

13. Rosanette says:

Congratulations! I look forward to purchasing one or two (for my sister and I) soon.