Consumer Lab Findings

On February 5, 2011, in Fat Solubles, Minerals, Vitamins, Water Solubles, by Andrea

I just joined Consumer Lab to check out some of the supplements that we take each day.  It’s been interesting.

Some of the ones I’ve found so far -

Tropical Oasis Liquid Calcium Magnesium Orange Flavor – Calories 10, Total Carbohydrates 2 g, Natural Sugars 1.5 g, Calcium Citrate 1200 mg (252 mg elemental), Magnesium Citrate 720 mg, (115 mg elemental), Vitamin D (cholecalciferol) (100 IU), Boron Citrate 750 mcg, Calcium Citrate (21% elemental), Magnesium Citrate (16% elemental); Other Ingredients: Water, fructose, citric acid, natural orange flavor, xanthum gum, and potassium sorbate (as a preservative).

Isotonix Advanced B Complex (powder, 1 capful [3.3 grams], 1 per day)
NOT APPROVED
Found no detectable B-6, only 53.1% of claimed biotin, and 79.5% of claimed folic acid

Kirkland Signature B-100 Hi-Energy Complex (1 delayed release tablet, 1 per day)
NOT APPROVED
Found only 17.9% of claimed B-12

5-hour Energy – Berry (liquid, 1 bottle [2 fl oz - 59 mL], 1/2 to 2 per day)
NOT APPROVED
Found only 75.5% of claimed folic acid
Found More Caffeine Than Expected:
206.5 mg per bottle5

Floradix™ Calcium Magnesium
(liquid, 2 tbsp per day)
APPROVED for calcium only
Vitamin D not determined1

Isotonix™ Calcium Plus
(powder, 2 capfuls per day)
NOT APPROVED
Only found 87% of claimed calcium

Vitron-C® High Potency Iron Plus Vitamin C (200 mg per tablet, 1-2 per day)
200-400 mg Ferrous fumarate
NOT APPROVED
Only found 36.6% of claimed Iron

Still going through, but thought these to be interesting so far..

8 Responses to “Consumer Lab Findings”

1. Karen Ogle says:

Cool. I’m glad none of these are in my arsenal. I’m interested to see what other brands and options are not making the grade. :)

2. JaimeK says:

I don’t take any of these, but I find this VERY interesting…looking forward to what other brands come up. Thanks!!

3. ASG says:

Interesting! How much caffeine was advertised in the “5-Hour Energy” product? I assume there is a certain tolerance (+/- 10% ?) for the various samples and what is listed on the labels?

You would think a product like “5-Hour Energy” would charge more money and advertise “now with more caffeine.” HAH

4. McNee says:

Soon as I am working again, especially since I’ll be working (hopefully) soon in nutrition field, I had planned on signing up for this site… glad to see you found it and it seems to be useful.

5. McNee says:

ASG – I think it is a 10% tolerance, at least on the low side… before they are listed as Not Approved. Been a few weeks since I’ve been on the site, I should double check that.

I found it cause of you, Rob.

I know things are tight for you — if there is anything you want me to check, lemme know.

7. Sally says:

this crazy new thing juyst presented itself to me on YT– what do you think? Hoax–

they infer those who take reg. calcium- even citrate are in for a heart attack-http://supplementresearch.aprovenproduct.com/calcium-supplements/calcium-citramate/

8. Pam says:

I had a membership to this site and found it very helpful. Check out the multi-vitamin section – some interesting stuff in there too. I let my membership lapse but have been contemplating renewing since I still get their email notices. Didn’t they just do a study on various Vitamin D supplements?