Citracal Calcium Gummies

On May 6, 2011, in Minerals, Reviews, by Andrea

Dear Bayer HealthCare, LLC – makers of Citracal:

This isn’t cool.

Citracal used to represent a good, high quality product I could easily say “this will work in achlorhydriac (low acid) guts – go buy it and use it!”

Then you came out with some of your variations, such as the “Bone Builder” version which contained mostly carbonate and zinc – things that don’t go with the “Citracal” name nor with calcium.

Now? Now you’re dropping into the depths of the tricalcium phosphate market – a market of truly trashy calcium for WLS people. And you aren’t exactly inexpensive, either.

Click to expand

Each of your gummies include only 250mg of calcium, 250 IU of vitamin D3, 3.5g of sugar, and 15 calories.

A normal adult, one without increased calcium needs, has an RDA of 1000 mg of calcium a day. That means 4 of your gummies a day. At $10 for a bottle of 60, that’s $20 a month. How many people do you really think are going to buy that?

I can buy 60 Calcets from Celebrate for $26 and they taste better and are the right calcium for EVERYONE!

So now, because you are including substandard products in your line-up, I, as a bariatric vitamin advocate, am going to have to take even more care when speaking to people about their supplements. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the extra work you’ve made for me. I needed more.

If you couldn’t figure it out, DO NOT BUY THESE. You won’t absorb the calcium in them, and will go broke trying.

11 Responses to “Citracal Calcium Gummies”

1. Nikki Massie says:

Wow. Tell ‘em girl! Although are these less beneficial to non-ops? I consider that their core market so if they’ve betrayed non-ops I say shame on them! I don’t expect all their products to be right for us. I just keep buying my Petites and chuggin’ ‘em.

I wouldn’t say they are particularly good for adults, either.

As people age, they lose the acidity in their gut. THat is why Citracal was designed in the first place.

3. Karen Ogle says:

I use Citrical. It sounds like they are about to screw up their reputation.

4. mm says:

These aren’t that new…. ?

The Citracal gummies are. The Tricalcium Phosphate crap isn’t.

6. Jeanette says:

I’m glad you posted about this. People are going to see the Citracal name and think it’s Citrate. Granted, most people don’t even think to read labels and with the Citracal name on the bottle, they’ll be fooled into thinking they don’t need to.

7. D. says:

I’m using the Bariatric Advantage chewables. I’ve tried a few of the flavors, and am currently taking the Cinnamon flavor. It’s calcium citrate, and has a plesant taste, with no after-taste.

8. julieA says:

Oh, noooo! I bought these last week, just because they were “Citracal” bad. I’m glad to have read your review before getting too far into the bottle. I didn’t see calcium carbonate anyplace on the bottle and that, along with the brand Citracal, made me think they were calcium citrate. :-(

9. Roz says:

Oh! Dang! I thought I was on to something! Something I could go pick up in a local store. Also because it had Citrical name to it. Shoot!

10. shelley says:

ok so I have been using the Citracal calcium gummies now for two months. I hate swallowing those big calcium pills so these work great for me. Now you guys say it is awful. Why is Tricalcium phosphate not good for you as the calcium carbonate or citrate. I read up on it and it says it is fine for your calcium needs. My doctor even told me to buy it. Please let me know what your findings are and besides cost why these gummies are not good for our calcium needs.

Tricalcium phosphate and calcium carbonate require a high degree of acid in the gut to absorb the calcium properly. If you’ve had RNY, DS, VSG, or are taking any amount of antiacids, then these will not absorb in us.