Proferrin Experiment: Update

On June 2, 2011, in Minerals, Tests, by Andrea

Wonder Iron

It’s no secret that I’ve had issues with my iron. I’ve tried super high doses of carbonyl iron without any response.

These are the numbers I started out with, and then a few updates along the way:

12/2/2009
HGB – 12.6  (12.0 – 18.0 g/dl)
HCT – 39.7%  (37.0 – 51.0%)
Ferritin – 11.1  (11-137 ng/ml)
Iron – 41  (37 – 170 ug/dl)
TIBC – 310  (265 – 497 ug/dl)
Iron Saturation – 13%  (20-55%)

1/4/2010

HGB – 13.13  (12.0 – 15.0 g/dl)
HCT – 38.21%  (35.0 – 49.0%)
Ferritin – 16.3  (6 – 81 ng/ml premenopausal *which seems odd cause post is 14-186….?*)
Iron – 45  (28 – 182 ug/ml)
UIBC – 326  (130 – 375 ug/dl)
TIBC – 371  (180 – 545 ug/dl)
Iron Sat – Not measured

3/8/2010

TIBC – 344  ( 250-450)
UIBC – 255 (150-375)
Serum Iron – 89  (35-155)
Iron Sat – 23%  (15-55%)
Ferritin – 23  (10-291 — with a notation that they are changing to 13-150 for Females)

I’ve been on the Proferrin now for a year and a half and I thought I’d throw an update up -

Hgb — 14.0 g/dL  (11.5-15.0)
Hct — 41.9%  (34.0-44.0)
TIBC — 333 ug/dL  (250-450)
UIBC — 217 ug/dL  (150-375)
Serum Iron — 116 ug/dL  (35-155)
Iron Saturation — 35%  (15-55)
Ferritin — 20 ng/mL  (13-150)

It’s obvious the Proferrin is doing its job. All of my numbers are moving upwards.. with ferritin just being a touch sluggish. That’s not that unusual, though.

Hemoglobin up 1.4 points
Hemtacrit up 2.2%
Serum Iron up 75 points
Saturation up 22%
Ferritin up 8.9 points

I will still continue to take 3 a day until my ferritin hits 50, then probably 2 a day until 100.. but I’m pretty happy with my numbers thus far — all without the need of a needle!

9 Responses to “Proferrin Experiment: Update”

1. Kaitlin says:

I’m jealous.

2. Laurie says:

Great! I have been taking it since October or November and I am anxious to see if my numbers went up!

3. Ann Balambao says:

I will have health insurance again in a few weeks and the first thing I am planning on is a follow-up lab. Going through stuff I did find my six months out lab and now I will be able to compare it with the present. Yeah I know I haven’t been tracking it but now I will. I had iron issues before surgery so I expect to see something there after.

4. Kori says:

You have been helpful in the past and you continue to be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for this info. Someone from OH directed me to this specific blog since I am now at a ferritin level of 2. I hope you know how much your openess and willingness to share your own struggles and research helps others!

5. Willow says:

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have symptoms of low iron at the 12/2/2009 blood draw, especially in terms of being tired after activity? If so, at what point did you start feeling better and getting back to being active?

No, I never did. Low ferritin, in of itself, is non-symptomatic.

7. Victoria Lane says:

Hey there Andrea…

What do you know, coming up on 3 yrs out from RNY and have been dragging for a bit, but only back in April did my doctor first mention anything amiss with my iron. I started ramping up on Carbonyl iron and vitamin C and had bloodwork re-done last week. The results are startlingly bad… no wonder I feel like I am totally wiped out:

HGB – 11.4 (12.0 – 16.0 g/dl)
    HCT – 35.7% (37.0 – 47.0%)
    Ferritin – 5 (20 – 200 ng/ml)
    Iron – 36 (40 – 160 ug/dl)
    TIBC – 489 (230 – 500 ug/dl)
    Iron Saturation – 7% (15-50%)

Surprise, surprise… my doc just told me to talk (get this), EXTENDED RELEASE Ferrous Sulfate for 3 months because “you’ll feel so much better and have more energy.” Granted, this isn’t a bariatric doctor, but she’s evidently unaware of the issues with extended release anything w/RNY, not to mention the poor results with ferrous sulfate post RNY. I had already been doing 100mg Carbonyl Iron (Perfect Iron) along with extra vitamin C chewables when she first said anything back in April and I’ve only dropped further.

I am wondering if in your layman’s opinion if I should be pushing for a visit to the hematologist, to pursue iron infusions… thoughts? I could try switching to Proferrin, but am not against the infusions as my insurance is generally pretty good and I’m very much interested in getting a quicker result if possible… any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

tori

Hi -

I really try to have people avoid the needle as much as possible because it’s not something you want to rely on for the rest of your life. I mean it’s okay once in awhile I suppose, but every 3 months for 20+ years? How is that going to suck after awhile?

I’d really try either Bifera (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) or Proferrin. Proferrin has 2x the heme as Bifera; Bifera has polysaccharide iron as well so it’s got both heme and ionic iron for a 1:2 punch. But I’d try something with heme in it.

9. Willow says:

My own experience with Proferrin and carbonyl iron:

July 2012 my numbers were:

Hemoglobin: 10.6
    Hematocrit: 34%
    TIBC: 428
    UIBC: 410
    Serum Iron: 18
    Saturation: 4%

I actually think my hemoglobin and hematocrit was worse than that. My B12 stays high, between 1500 and 2000 and my folic acid was up at 20, so I think they masked the true (lower) number.

I started taking 3 Proferrin a day plus 250-300mg of carbonyl iron a day in the form of Tender Iron.

October 1st 2012, my numbers were:

Hemoglobin: 12
    Hematocrit: 38%
    TIBC: 454
    UIBC: 429
    Serum Iron: 25
    Saturation: 6%
    Ferritin: 6

I stopped taking the Tender Iron in November. I switched to the capsules from the tablets and they were just wrecking my poor gut. I had hoped the capsules would be nicer than the tablets but they definitely were not, they were worse. Like swallowing glass and fire. So I started taking ONLY 3 Proferrin a day from then on.

My numbers, as of May 1st 2013:

Hemoglobin: 14.2
    Hematocrit: 42%
    TIBC: 449
    UIBC: 410
    Serum Iron: 39
    Saturation 9%
    Ferritin: 11

Pretty pitiful, huh? But without the Proferrin, these numbers would be alot worse on non-heme iron. I think some of us really malabsorb iron and I’m one of them. If I had insurance, I would’ve gotten infusions months ago. As it is, i’ve now taken to ordering large quantities of dried organic beef liver and waiting on Obamacare.