Perhaps the first, and definatly longest lasting bariatrc vitamin formulations out on the market today has got to be Optisource. In fact, they have even hit the “big time” by being easily accessible in Walgreens.
Get at least 100% of the daily value for 23 vitamins and minerals in just four tablets.
With the recommended daily dose of just four OPTISOURCE chewable tablets, patients recovering from malabsorbtive bariatric surgery will receive at least 100% of the daily value for 23 vitamins and minerals! These include high levels of calcium, vitamin B12, iron and folic acid for increased absorption. Chewable tablets that pack a huge nutritional punch.
My friend Kaitlin (not my daughter, it should be noted.. we call this Kaitlin my Other Kaitlin..) over at The Bypassed Life wrote a great post about Flintstones vitamins in a way that makes it very easy to see why they are not a good choice for .. well? Anyone.
She’s got some great content on her blog, including a post about a study on antidepressant absorption (or lack thereof) in our guts. She’s worth a read if you are need of another good quality blog.
So without further ado:
Many years ago, the gold standard for post-operative supplementation was Flintstones children’s chewable vitamins, as well as Tums for calcium. Unfortunately, this regimen was woefully incomplete. Without the proper supplements, people developed deficiencies. Not always immediately—the body has stores of many vitamins—but they did eventually appear. In some people, circumstances helped to accelerate nutrient depletion. My friend Andrea had babies. Greedy little (adorable) things that they were, those babies stole from her vitamin stores. Her Flintstones and Tums simply couldn’t keep up. Andrea got rickets.
For all the vitamins that are out on the market, the newest “craze” are the gummy “vitamins.”
First came the gummies for kids to help get kids to take them. I get the reasoning.
But then they made adult vitamins using a gummy formulation.
And post-ops who thought Flintstones were good enough? Now thought gummies were a great option.
And just like Flintstones.. they aren’t.
As part of the samples box Vic over at Celebrate sent me, there were some of the new ENS shakes that include protein as well. I’ve not tried them yet, so I’m looking forward to putting them in my blender bottle and giving them a whirl.
First up is the Vanilla Cake Batter.
Created for surgical weight loss patients, our ENS (Essential Nutrient System) shake contains a high potency multivitamin, 500 mg of calcium citrate, and 25 g of whey isolate protein in each pack. Our integrated formula provides maximum solubility and ensures that the vitamins and minerals are readily bioavailable. This product is the best option for patients immediately following surgery.
* The vitamin and mineral content of each pack is equal to taking one chewable multivitamin, plus 500 mg of calcium, plus 25 g of protein.
* Due to the nature of the formulation, this product is appropriate for any surgical weight loss procedure. As with any of our other delivery systems, you may need additional supplementation based on surgery type.
* It is recommended to be blended with 8 oz of cold water, shaken, and consumed but can be mixed with as much or as little water as you want. It may also be mixed with milk.
* Each pack also contains 4 g of soluble fiber, added electrolytes and a 500 mg antioxidant blend, and a 200 mg green tea blend.
* Like our other products, taste is important and this has a delicious vanilla flavor that will make you think that you are drinking a glass of milk flavored like cake batter.
* Since quality is a critical element of all of our products, we utilize an ultra refined whey isolate protein that scores 100 on the PDCAAS scale.
Who would benefit from this product?
1. Early post-operative patients – Since this may be diluted to taste, there are virtually no issues with taste aversion.
2. Athletes – If you are a surgery patient turned athlete, this can help to flavor that boring water that you need to drink. Water is critical and taking your vitamins and calcium while hydrating makes it easier.
3. Anyone looking for a convenient alternative to pills or chewables.